AddThis Social Bookmark Button

Tuesday, December 18, 2007

It's Tex/Mexican for Dinner Tonight

Tonight we had bean burritos with home-made guacamole and Tofutti Sour Cream. Yum. Jane puts black beans, an onion and a few drops of liquid smoke in the food processor, and voilia, vegan "refried" beans. It's a pretty quick and easy meal for her to get together, and we both really enjoy it. She always uses whole wheat tortillas too, so we feel good about our healthy "fast food."

Tonights version had a little brown rice, some diced tomatoes and a healthy dollop of Cholula brand Hot Sauce, which we get at Costco, of all places. And, as usual, the tortillas were accompanied by a large green salad. Dinner was filling and quite satisfying. Thanks Jane!

3 comments:

Tanya said...

Hi! I just found out the other day that liquid smoke wasn't some awful chemical sludge but was actually naturally made. Now it's time to experiment-- any other suggestions?

Tanya said...

Hey, did you catch this "naturally" eggless cake on Culinary Bazaar?

The Fast Lane said...

Tanya,
You are a font of helpful information! The naturally eggless cake looks even better than the chocolate cake.

As for the liquid smoke, I emailed you a recipe I got from one of the books we've been reading for the last few months.

I've successfully used it in place of bacon in a few recipes. I don't think I'd try it in a quiche (if I still ate eggs), but it works wonderfully with beans or in soup.

My only complaint is that it tends to drip out of the bottle and I always wind up with some on my fingers. Then I'm craving bacon for a few hours.
-- Jane