AddThis Social Bookmark Button

Thursday, November 29, 2007

The Vegan Refrigerator

Being a "new" vegan means that I often have to tell people I've changed my way of eating. When I do this, I'm frequently met with a look of pure puzzlement. In addition to the question of "why," I am invariably asked, "but what do you eat?" as if there isn't anything but meat and potatoes out there.

So, instead of categorizing a list of foods, I thought I'd take a picture of the refrigerator. See... plenty of food. Granted, there's not much there to just pull out and eat without some kind of preparation, but aren't we supposed to be cutting down on our consumption of processed foods anyway?

This photo's pretty representational of what you'll find any time you open the refrigerator door, except for the soda. Oh, and we haven't tried the Silk Eggnog yet. That's for later!

3 comments:

Shannon said...

I just wanted to say I tried the Silk eggnog and I think it's awesome. I've tried Silk before and didn't like it but someone else bought it and I tried it and it was great. I'm excited about seeing your Daring Baker creations. I am vegetarian and the vegan diet intrigues me because people ask me what I eat also as thought there are only meat options. :)

Anonymous said...

LOL! I did the vegan stint once upon a time and I really do know that you've lost them once you get that *deer in headlights* look when you start explaining about being a vegan.

The Fast Lane said...

Hi Shannon,

I'm glad you have good reviews on the Silk Eggnog. Jane isn't letting me try it just yet. :-)

Jane wants me to mention that you shouldn't expect much from her re this month's challenge. She's been poking around online all day to see what modifications she might be able to make to "veganize" the recipe, but she's starting to get that crazed look about her.

BTW, degree in Baking & Pastry Arts? VERY IMPRESSIVE! We're just regular folk here, so don't expect too much in the way of creative baking on this blog. And any hints/tips will always be welcomed!

Lane & Jane