AddThis Social Bookmark Button

Thursday, November 1, 2007

Vegan Chili

Jane used to serve home-made chili and beer to me and my friends during football season. (Have I mentioned how great my wife is?) Prior to this vegan diet we were not red-meat eaters. Jane would have the occasional cheeseburger or pork product (she was completely addicted to bacon when we went out for breakfast), but other than that it was poultry or fish for us. During games, Jane would make ground turkey chili for us.

I had a few guys over on Sunday for the Patriots / Redskins game and dinner. We've told a few people that we're vegan, but none of these guys knew. So, Jane served us guacamole and chips and beer early on. We have plenty of non-vegan beer on hand and we still have loads of Guinness from our pre-vegan days. And here's my confession: I had three bottles of Guinness. Do I feel guilty? Kind of, but hey, it's Guinness...

(See this post for the disturbing news on non-vegan beer.)

For dinner we had vegan chili with brown rice and a salad. No one noticed the chili was vegan. Jane used red, black, and pinto beans along with TVP (that textured vegetable protein stuff). The TVP provides a little chewy meat-feel to the chili and since everything is smothered in sauce and spices it's not easy to tell you're not eating ground beef/turkey. (I'd say impossible, but I haven't had red meat intentionally in 20+ years.

Needless to say, everyone liked the chili a whole lot more than the game as the Patriots crushed the Redskins.

2 comments:

The All Seeing Eye said...

I am not an all-veggie person... But this sure looks good. :)

The Fast Lane said...

Hi Eye,

It is good, and easy... If you'd like, I can have Jane send you the exact recipe, but I know the basics. She sautes and onion in a little olive oil, then adds minced garlic, then the spices: about 1-2 Tbs of Ancho Chili Powder (dark), Cumin, and Regular Chili Powder. A smaller amount of cayenne pepper and salt. Then when the onions are cooked thru she throws in 3-6 cans of beans and the tomato sauce. Often a can of beer and the cooked meat - which since we're vegan is TVP. Cook for 20-40 minutes. Serve with rice and grated cheese (vegan, of course).