AddThis Social Bookmark Button

Monday, October 1, 2007

OK, Maybe I Don't Have This Vegan Thing Down Yet

It's been almost three months, and here I am thinking I've got the vegan thing down. Tonight Jane and I were trying to figure out where to go for dinner. We had a late afternoon meeting and she wasn't up for cooking, so we were discussing our various options. We were toying with the idea of going to one of our favorite (pre-vegan) Indian restaurants and were trying to think what we might eat that didn't contain hidden animal product (ghee, cream).

In the past, when we were not vegan, our most favorite Indian dish was Chicken Tikka Masala - which is tandoori grilled chicken in a cream and tomato based sauce. We were never able to gravitate away from that dish. Whenever we had Indian, one of us would order that, often both of us would. That should illustrate how much we actually like that dish. Our usual Modus Operandi is to order two separate plates and share them.

So, as we were tossing around potential dishes and their pitfalls, I mentioned that we wouldn't be having Chicken Tikka Masala, but maybe we could have the Chicken Tikka instead. Jane looked at me with a gaze that said "you must be kidding," and asked me what I'd really order. Repeat previous dialogue. Finally she realized I had no idea what was coming out of my mouth. She gave me a look that said "you must be stooopid," and then said "Lane, um Chicken?!?!?!"

I guess I need a little more training.

No comments: